Apart from the sun shining brightly of the lovely highlights of Gran Canaria, one more thing that they boast about is their alluring culinary delights. A typical local of this island would be noble, kind, deep-rooted to his tradition and also have a great sense of humour. We sum of all these behaviours as this reflect of what they have been eating all through! The dishes here are simple, appetising and nutritive, and that makes the taste memorable.
- Gofio: it is roasted wheat meal or maize which is either served with island stews or enhanced to produce nougat.
- Mojo: piquant sauces served with major dishes. It is made with pepper, olive oil, vinegar, cumin, paprika, and salt.
- Mojo Verde: this is another sauce added with parsley and coriander and is slightly lighter.
- Mojo Palmero: this special sauce has been improvised in the capital city. These are more variations to mojos, some include coriander with garlic and saffron, some have tomato paste and goat cheese!
- Papas arrugadas: these are boiled baby potatoes which have their skin on and is dipped in salty water. It is served with the mojo sauces!
- Tollos: dogfish is used to make this typical dish
- Sancocho: it is a famous dish which is made with salted fishes, which had been kept overnight. It is later boiled and served with spicy sauces.
- Grilled limpets: apart from fishes, limpets are commonly served during summer time. They are grilled for the apt taste.
- Burgado: it is a marine snail which is pretty common locally,
- Salmorejo: this is a famous dish made with rabbit meat.
- Bienmesabe: is a special dessert made with honey and ground almonds.
- Truchas Navideñas: are small pastries which are added with sweet potatoes, raisins, almonds, and pumpkins.
- Quesadillas: is a famous roll added with cheese.
- Torta vilana: this is another dish made of potatoes and added with eggs and sugar.
- Rapaduras: this is an exquisite dessert made with honey and almond sweet.
- Wine: this island gets 10 wine Denominations of Origin, which is why you get to choose from a variety of wines. Not to forget, the amazing distinctions among the cheeses you find will be hard to choose!