How to Bring a Pet to Spain

Bringing a pet to Spain is fairly straightforward although once again there are specific documents and procedures that you need to go through.

Pet Travel - Moving Pets to Spain
Pet Travel – Moving Pets to Spain

EU  Citizens – Bringing a pet to Spain

If you are an EU citizen and have a beloved pet you do not wish to leave behind you need a pet passport.

UK – Pet passports:  Pet passports are issued only by Local Veterinary Inspectors (LVI) not your local vet, although your vet can assist you in this.

 Pet Passports – other EU Countries:  Pet passports can be issued by your local veterinarian if he/she is registered.

Requirements for a pet passport: 

  • Microchip or tattoo that identifies your pet.
  • Valid rabies vaccination not more than 3 months before travelling
  • All records of vaccinations and clinical examinations including tick and tapeworm treatments.

The pet passport:

The EU pet passport provides the following information:

  1. The name and address of the owner
  2. A description of the pet its breed, sex, age and colour.
  3. The microchip number
  4. Dates of vaccinations and validity as well as the expiry date/s with the name of the manufacturer of the vaccine/s and the production number/s.
  5. Address and signature of the veterinarian.


Spain’s pet immigration rules – EU and Non-EU citizens

Bringing a pet to Spain
Bringing a pet to Spain

Your pet’s ISO pet microchip plus vaccinations including rabies must have been done not longer than 12 months before the date of travel and no later than 21 days before the date of travel.

The Microchip:

If your pet’s microchip is not ISO 11784/11785 compliant you will have to arrange to bring your own microchip scanner with you, or you can have the microchip replaced with one that is compliant.

All valid vaccinations must have been done after the microchip was inserted.  If the microchip was inserted after the vaccinations were done then you are required to re-vaccinate your pet.

Annex II for Spain Form

EU-Citizens UK: This must be a bi-lingual version completed by an RCVS accredited veterinarian and endorsed by the RCVS (Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons)

EU- citizens and EEA citizens: – require the same Annex II document signed by a veterinarian accredited by the Governing Body of veterinary qualifications for their country and endorsed by the same Governing Body.

Non – EU citizens – America & Canada:  require a bilingual version of the Annex II signed by a USDA or CFIA accredited veterinarian and endorsed by the same body.  Your veterinarian must also complete an Annex IV form.

Rabies prevalent Countries:   If you are bringing your pet into Spain from a country with a high incidence of rabies your pet will required a Blood Titer Test – This should be carried out one month after vaccination and no later than 3 months before the date of travel.

You can check if your country is considered to be a high rabies incidence country on the pettravel website.

Puppies and Kittens:

If your pet is under 3 months of age they are permitted but there are additional regulations.

All puppy/kitten vaccinations must have been done and the puppy/kitten must be old enough to have had its first rabies vaccination – 3 – 4 months and the vaccination must have been done at least 30 days before travel.  This may mean that your puppy has to wait in quarantine until such time as it is old enough to enter Spain with the correct vaccinations in place.

To enter Spain with your puppy your puppy must have:

  • A Healthcare certificate, (Certificado de Origen y Sanidad)
  • A microchip
  • All vaccinations plus Rabies

Spain’s restricted dog breeds:

There are certain breeds of dogs which Spain considers aggressive by nature and after several serious incidents the Spanish Government introduced very strict regulations governing the ownership of what it sees as dangerous breeds.

Dangerous breeds:

  • American Staffordshire Terrier
  • Akita
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Fila Brasileiro
  • Japanese Tosa
  • Pit Bull
  • Rottweiler
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  • No specific breed but has the following characteristics:
    • Strong and powerful appearance
    • Strong character
    • Short hair
    • Shoulder height between 50 and 70cm with weight over 20kgs (44lbs)
    • Square and robust head with large jaws
    • Wide short neck
    • Broad deep chest
    • Robust fore legs
    • Muscular hind legs

If your dog falls under any of these breeds or has any of these characteristics then you will have to apply for a special licence to import to and own such a dog in Spain.

In the UK a licence can be applied for from your local council.  But be aware that once you have the licence you will be required to keep your dog muzzled and when outside of your property the dog must be kept on a leash no more than 2m in length.

Dangerous dog licence requirements:

  • The owner must be over 18 year of age
  • The owner may not have a criminal record
  • The owner must undergo psychological and physical tests
  • The owner must hold third party insurance of no less than €120,000

Pet insurance:

A good idea before your pet travels to Spain is to ensure that you have pet insurance.  This is not obligatory and is purely at the owner’s discretion.

For full information on traveling with your pet or sending your pet with an animal transporter is available on:  Pettravel

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *